Friday, August 12, 2011

Update to Posts.... {& Spicy Red Pesto}



It's hard to believe it but I actually started writing this blog 2 years ago! At the time I had no idea what I was doing, knew pretty much nothing about blogging and was pregnant! Unsurprisingly my blogging slowed down considerably 3 months after I started it and came to a complete stop when my beautiful little boy was born! Seven months later I got back into it and I'm delighted that I have been able to write frequently since then which means I've been blogging consistently for 1 year now! Quite an achievement considering a lot of the things I've been through during that time. That being said, like I think a lot of bloggers, when you look back at earlier posts there are things you want to change. Not the recipes or ramblings but more so (for me anyway!) photographs and lay-out.

Initially I had no photographs for most of my posts, now however I have come to realise how important photos are when it comes to blogging. It's hardly surprising (and I should have known better) considering most people choose cookbooks that are filled with glossy, delicious pictures enticing us to make the accompanying recipes! So while I fully admit I still need a lot more practice taking good photographs, I know that my recent ones are certainly a lot better than any earlier ones taken which makes me want to replace all the earlier ones which I am slowly trying to do.

The thing that bothers me most however, when looking at older posts is my lay-out (more so when I started blogging again last summer). Initially I liked the idea of posting quite a few recipes on one post, having it as more of a theme rather than just one recipe, however as my index of recipes slowly grows I realise how much easier it is to navigate with one recipe per post – not just for me, but more so for you, the reader. It is for that reason that I'm going to change some earlier posts to break them up a bit and give them there own deserved page! (It was even suggested to me at one point a year ago but yet it has taken me this long to finally decide to do it!) If I could I would break them up and keep them posted on their original date, but this doesn't seem to be possible (at least not that I can see!), so for the time being they will have to be re-posted as of the current date. I won't be doing them all as I don't want to be repeating too many recipes but I hope you see this as a positive change to my blog and view any repeated recipes as a reminder of what's hidden in past days and not me just being repetitive! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as although it's now technically been 2 years I think of it as 1 and even then still consider myself a newbie blogger, learning something every day!

{Note: I think for the time being any posts that are a complete menu such as my BBQ with Friends, I'll keep as one post. It's more for posts with 3 or more recipes that have a similar thread but is just too much for one page! First up..... Spicy Red Pesto.}


Spicy Red Pesto



This pesto has all the fresh flavour of the classic basil pesto but is then transformed to a whole new level with the taste of peppers, tomatoes and chilli – delicious!

1 large red pepper
30g/ 1oz fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 ripe tomatoes
3 tbsp pine nuts plus extra to garnish
3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, plus a little oil that they come in (Approx. 6-7 large ones)
2-3 red chillies, roughly chopped (depending how hot you like it!)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
30g/ 1oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated

Cut the red pepper in half and remove the stalk and seeds. Roughly chop then add to the food processor with the basil, garlic, tomatoes, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes and the red chilli. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper, then puree until fairly smooth but still retaining some texture.

Drizzle in the oil and mix well then stir in the grated parmesan. Taste to check for seasoning then store in jars or freeze in ice cube trays.

*As with ordinary basil pesto this is absolutely delicious tossed through hot pasta, but it is also a great alternative to top pizza with rather than a tomato sauce or why not try my Chicken, Rocket & Spicy Red Pesto Burger for a fantastic lighter burger this Summer.

17 comments:

  1. Lynds, your photos are excellent! Its a shame to break up previous posts, as its nice to see full menu plans, but I do understand that its so much easier to search a recipe when they've got a page each. Bummer for you though, all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I really like this recipe! It is great! Thank you so much for sharing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah! Yeah it was a tough decision but any posts that are full menus I'm keeping, its more the posts that are a theme rather than a menu eg. the pesto ones. I had 3 different pesto recipes on the post along with a recipe for each one on how to use them! I think this is easier but it is some extra work....oh well!

    RavieNomNoms - thats you so much, it's my pleasure! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your red pesto! It sounds so good and a nice spin on the typical one we always see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pesto! Love the switch from the traditional

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really interesting. Gonna give it a go next time I find myself itching for pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookmarked this one. I just bought a ton of peppers and had no idea what to do with them until now. Might try this tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is one of my favourites & your pics are fab. Like your recipe, I use pesto ALL the time, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments - they make my day! For those of you that try this pesto I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

    LilaVanilla - Thank you so much - you have no idea how lovely it is to hear something like that! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO TRYING THIS! I love the peppers in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mama J! I hope you enjoy it! (If you do make it and like it you should definitely try the burgers recipe) : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lyndsey, I put this on my faves list last week and also made it. Gave props to you so feel free to pop by and see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Kim Bee - I am so flattered! Although I have to say your version looks amazing! I can't wait to try it : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. red pesto!? looks genius & delicious!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this pesto and added four heaping tablespoons to about pound of ground turkey for turkey burgers. Ground turkey can be a bit flavorless and dry, but adding this pesto made those bland turkey burgers into something special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear that! I make chicken burgers with it but I'll definitely try turkey as well. Thank you so much for letting me know : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...