Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Patatas Bravas - Sweet Heat # 6

Being a lover of food I can pick away at over a leisurely evening with good company and good wine, I was delighted when Janice (Farmersgirl), the host of this month's Sweet Heat, chose Tapa's as the theme for the challenge! I am a huge fan of tapas so as far as I was concerned this was a perfect choice. The only thing is that Tapas aren't necessarily known for being spicy, however I could think of one dish that I always make when we have tapas, that does have a kick – my Patatas Bravas (crispy potatoes with a spicy, smoky tomato sauce)! The main heat comes from the paprika which I love but I have to say for this you really do need to try and get some really good Smoked Spanish Paprika (I use La Chinata) - it makes such a difference and adds a lovely smoky depth to the sauce and potatoes, not to mention a nice kick! 

This is the first post of several featuring my favourite Tapa's recipes. We had a Tapa's feast recently so they are all shown in the photographs but the Patatas Bravas are the ones at the front!

Patatas Bravas

400g (approx.) potatoes, cleaned
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Small pinch of chilli flakes
500ml passata or 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sweet paprika, plus a little extra for the potatoes
1 tsp hot paprika, plus a little extra for the potatoes
50ml red wine
1 tsp sugar (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and put on a baking tray. Season with a little salt and pepper and a sprinkling of paprika, then drizzle with a roughly 2 tablespoons of the oil. Toss to make sure they are evenly covered then roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, turning half way through cooking, until they are golden and crispy on the outside.

While the potatoes are cooking make the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and gently sauté the garlic quickly before adding the chilli flakes. Continue to cook a little before adding the tomatoes. If you are using chopped tomatoes break them up a little with your spoon. Add the paprika, wine, half of the parsley and sugar then season and leave to cook for 30 minutes on a gentle simmer. When the potatoes are ready transfer to a serving dish and serve with the tomato sauce on the side or if you prefer spooned over the top of the potatoes, then finish by sprinkling with the remaining parsley. 

{Also in the picture - Chorizo with Red Wine; Mini Lamb Meatballs with Romesco Sauce; Prawns with Sherry & Garlic; Baked Mozzarella Mushrooms; Spiced Almonds and Marinated Olives}


  1. These sounds delish! I love everything in your tapas spread.

  2. I am going to try this one as it looks delicious and I just know my Hubs will love it :)

  3. Great job on the Tapas, Lynds. Patatas Bravas is one of my favourite Tapas dishes. Thanks for entering Sweet Heat, although, of course, it is your challenge!!

  4. I absolutely love tapas ... love the browse a little - drink a little - talk a little - repeat of an evening of tapas. I can't wait to see all your favorite dishes. We have tapas night every couple months at the grey cottage ... I'm up for some new dishes! And I agree smoked paprika in the bravas sauce is just the ticket!

  5. Lovely! I love tapas, and paprika always makes me happy :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...