Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Patatas Bravas - Sweet Heat # 6


Being a lover of food I can pick away at over a leisurely evening with good company and good wine, I was delighted when Janice (Farmersgirl), the host of this month's Sweet Heat, chose Tapa's as the theme for the challenge! I am a huge fan of tapas so as far as I was concerned this was a perfect choice. The only thing is that Tapas aren't necessarily known for being spicy, however I could think of one dish that I always make when we have tapas, that does have a kick – my Patatas Bravas (crispy potatoes with a spicy, smoky tomato sauce)! The main heat comes from the paprika which I love but I have to say for this you really do need to try and get some really good Smoked Spanish Paprika (I use La Chinata) - it makes such a difference and adds a lovely smoky depth to the sauce and potatoes, not to mention a nice kick! 



This is the first post of several featuring my favourite Tapa's recipes. We had a Tapa's feast recently so they are all shown in the photographs but the Patatas Bravas are the ones at the front!


Patatas Bravas


400g (approx.) potatoes, cleaned
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Small pinch of chilli flakes
500ml passata or 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sweet paprika, plus a little extra for the potatoes
1 tsp hot paprika, plus a little extra for the potatoes
50ml red wine
1 tsp sugar (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and put on a baking tray. Season with a little salt and pepper and a sprinkling of paprika, then drizzle with a roughly 2 tablespoons of the oil. Toss to make sure they are evenly covered then roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, turning half way through cooking, until they are golden and crispy on the outside.

While the potatoes are cooking make the sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and gently sauté the garlic quickly before adding the chilli flakes. Continue to cook a little before adding the tomatoes. If you are using chopped tomatoes break them up a little with your spoon. Add the paprika, wine, half of the parsley and sugar then season and leave to cook for 30 minutes on a gentle simmer. When the potatoes are ready transfer to a serving dish and serve with the tomato sauce on the side or if you prefer spooned over the top of the potatoes, then finish by sprinkling with the remaining parsley. 


{Also in the picture - Chorizo with Red Wine; Mini Lamb Meatballs with Romesco Sauce; Prawns with Sherry & Garlic; Baked Mozzarella Mushrooms; Spiced Almonds and Marinated Olives}

5 comments:

  1. These sounds delish! I love everything in your tapas spread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this one as it looks delicious and I just know my Hubs will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the Tapas, Lynds. Patatas Bravas is one of my favourite Tapas dishes. Thanks for entering Sweet Heat, although, of course, it is your challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love tapas ... love the browse a little - drink a little - talk a little - repeat of an evening of tapas. I can't wait to see all your favorite dishes. We have tapas night every couple months at the grey cottage ... I'm up for some new dishes! And I agree smoked paprika in the bravas sauce is just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I love tapas, and paprika always makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...